Friday, May 1, 2015

The Way of Blankets / Value Village

"The grass withers, the flower fades, When the breath of the LORD blows upon it; Surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever."



Crochet  Afghan | Pink Chevron Afghan | Blanket Throw | Lap Robe

When  I went to Value Village, the other day, to pick up some inexpensive items, I noticed how cheaply you could acquire a used hand-made blanket--for example, this type of crocheted chevron design.  It takes a long time to make one of these.

It is a little bit disheartening to observe the way of these kinds of blankets, hand-made--not exactly art--lovingly and patiently stitched together by hand, wrapped around loved ones on cool evenings, slung over a favorite chair or sofa to cuddle there with a book by the fire...  If the blanket could tell stories...

Now, it hangs neatly on a hanger and costs about $5.00.  The fabric does not look too nice anymore.  Good for camping.

And that could be more value still, physically speaking, than the loving hands of a grandma, who may have knitted it and who has been long gone, missed much or not so much.  Who knows.

Still, I could be motivated to make something really crazy colorful, like this:




Would that not be fun?  It would be easier than the lace knit on the round, I am involved with now.

Funny, too, and a little sad and morbid, too, were the ladies at the check-out at Value Village.  What I did end up buying there was a stack of books, all of them classics.  There were used Dostoevsky's, Homer, Ellie Wiesel, Canadian short stories and poetry.  I probably got about a dozen, so that the woman at the check-out, a lively, chatty one, said:  "Are you taking a class?"  I said:  "No, not a class.  I can read all that and save the money on a class."  She said:  "Yes, I took my degree in English, and here I work. (Embarrassed to work at Value Village)"  The lady at the check-out next to her said:  "And look at me.  I have a degree in Genetics."  She was not joking. 

This proves my point.  Just read good books and forget the extra degrees. 

Read a book.  Crochet a blanket.  Cuddle.  

Work and chat at Value Village.  It's all good. 

No comments: