Saturday, May 2, 2015

Cashiers with University Degrees

I am still thinking about the last post, and the ironies felt by the ladies at the till, at Value Village.  One had a degree in English literature and the other one had a degree in Genetics.

It has become a common occurrence, that people have spent much time and much money getting degrees with nothing to show for it in terms of employment prospects.  Even professors complain that they only teach sessions and can't make a living or have any prestige.

One thing I have learned is that the institutions in Alberta pump out many, many more teachers than are needed.  Myself and my siblings have thrown ourselves into this group.  I taught at Lutheran school, my sister went to Japan to teach and married a Japanese, my brother went to teach in the South Sea islands and now teaches on-line.  None of us obtained a well-earning position with the regular school board.  The way I recall it, there are about 200 teachers needed in a year, and there are about 2000 new graduates with a Bachelor of Education.  That is a stiff competition for work, and my feeling has been that it is who you know not what you know that gives you a leg up in the job market.

This is disheartening and wrong.

In Germany, my friend's daughter is becoming a Chemistry teacher.  She has a practicum which is several years long and and when she is finished she will have a decent position.  This is certainly more humane, fair and effective.

We are doing a lot wrong over here.

--And the schools have big windows.

(Picture from Google Images)





No comments: