Friday, April 24, 2015

Sex on Campus / Sexual Elite / First Things article "Sex and Danger at UVA"

The other day, we had dinner with a dorm supervisor.  It was on Easter Sunday.  She said everything is about feminism, body image and early sexualization of females, these days, issue wise.  When you get to college, what goes nowadays?

Myself, I lived at home when I went to University and I was married before I was done.  My daughter lived here and there, but not in dorm, and was married before she was done.

When she was in college, she took a course on sexuality.  I secretly read her notes.  (Confession right here.)  I remember reading that those who get into stable marriages are the sexual elite, so to speak.  I think this is a good way to look at it.  Having sex in marriage is being the sexual elite.  We should shout it out.  It's the way to go.  But not everyone can get it, and so much is delayed these days.

But, ever more and more, it sounds like women are supposed to put out without any kind of love, romance, affection, security or care.  Especially at college and in the dorm.  It may sound like freedom, but what is it really?

First Things came out with an interesting article, just now.  Very important points.

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2015/05/sex-and-danger-at-uva

Lately, I have been working up secular song repertoire for the choir I lead.  What strikes me about the love songs is how romantic they are compared to the crude things we are subjected to often.

I think it is interesting that Bob Dylan just came out with a CD that reworks Frank Sinatra songs.  It's a little sleepy for me, and it put my old husband and my old me down for a nap, but the idea of reintroducing some of these songs is intriguing.  Anybody want to be a gentleman and a lady?




Come to think of it, there was a lab assistant in evolutionary biology who told me:  why on earth are you getting married?  You don't have to do that sort of thing any more.

No comments: