Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas 2 / Jehovah's Witnesses at the Door

It was quite cold, the day after Boxing Day.  Minus 13, I think.  There was a gentle knock on the door in the morning and I thought it might be a neighbor with Christmas cheer.  But no, it was two Jehovah's Witness males.  They wanted to discuss James, chapter 3 with me.  I did not invite them in, as I was alone;  as the cold air kept sweeping in, my bare feet were freezing.  They want to come back sometime.

Bottom line, they wanted to have Jesus be the perfect man, who saved us.  Bottom lime, there is no such thing as the perfect man, and certainly not one who can save us.  And what for.  What are we saved for.  They wanted to be saved to be part of the 144 thousand.  I wanted to be saved to see God. They were going to seek God, but I told them that God sought them.

He was born in Bethlehem.

I sang them a little scripture from the Messiah, and the older man who stood behind got agitated.  He got mad several times.

I showed them my front door and told them that that baby in the picture is God.

I told them about the Pentatonix hitsong:  "Mary did you know?" -- Had they heard it.  No.



















We read from the Bible, Romans 3:9 and onward.  Point is:
God is Savior from sin, death and devil.  No mere man can save you from those.  Every single man was fallible beginning with Adam.

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11     there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
    not even one.”[b]
13 “Their throats are open graves;
    their tongues practice deceit.”[c]
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[d]
14     “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[e]
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16     ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know.”[f]
18     “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”[g]
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

No, dear friends, this is what we confess about Jesus:

 I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned creature, purchased and won [delivered] me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil, not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, in order that I may be [wholly] His own, and live under Him in His kingdom, and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, even as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true.

--God does save and we can be sure of it because he accomplished everything for us.






No comments: