Sunday, December 14, 2014

Advent / Sunday of Joy

Today was the Sunday of Joy, in Advent.

I love "Joy".  Joy is the best.  "Freude schoener Goetterfunken"--we used the melody today for a hymn.  You can have joy in any circumstance, happy or sad, sickness or in health.  You can also have depression in all of those...  The most joy I have these days is when singing.  I could really go along with that picture of eternity being nothing but choir singing.  It would be delightful to sing praises to God forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.  Hallelujah!

But we are not there yet, and I am beginning to feel a kind of Christmas panic.  Checking off that list of what all needs to be done right away and for the last few days, and then thinking about everyone's expectations.  I feel sad that none of my ancestors are with me any more.  None of the people who really, really, really loved me, adored me:  my mother and father, and all my grandparents.  There is my husband, but that is different. My godmother is still alive.  I will call her.  She is in Germany.

Joy.  Union.  Reunion.  Praise.  Wedding garments.  The Bridegroom will rejoice over us.  Things will happen and we will be glad.  (Isaiah reading for today.)  Rejoice in all circumstances.  (Epistle reading.)  Joy is so good.  Joy is ours.




No comments: