Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Why not be cruel?" / 2

 "I want to believe there’s a heaven. But I can’t not believe there’s a hell."

Vince Gilligan's (Creator of "Breaking Bad")  girlfriend. 


“The doctrine of original sin is the only empirically verifiable doctrine of the Christian faith.”

Reinhold Niebuhr


On "Breaking Bad".  My husband and I are only wrapping up season 2.  We should be able to catch up in the next winter, presently standing at our door.   Here is an  article on "grace" in "Breaking Bad".  

I have heard "grace" used this way, as in stories where the character is offered a chance to have an insight and chose a more moral course of action.  I think I would call that a "message" or "insight", a call to "repent".     

Grace, in contrast, is the actual forgiveness, the actual pardoning of the fallen.   

Many people, nowadays, are furious just at the mention of punishment or hell, but this is after they have done away completely with the concept of sin, against all reasonableness.  



No comments: