Monday, June 20, 2011

Sunflowers and my soul.

"O Lord Jesus, shine in my heart, mind, words and actions.  I do not want to obstruct the window of my devotion willfully.
Dearest Lord Jesus, let my heart flourish with sunflowers and way-white blossoms that face and turn toward the sun.  Let my heart face You at every moment."
Valerius Herberger. p. 91


The first time I grew sunflowers in my garden I realized after they matured that all the flowers were turned toward the sun and not any toward the house as I had somehow expected.  So, therefore the sunflower is a great image for keeping your face toward God.

We won't get to the catechism today, but the sunflower image also illustrates the first commandment, which we are still working on.

Below see the current state of my garden.  It's been raining lots, which is what we need.


This is the hope of sunflowers to come.  There is a row planted to face south toward the walkway where the passers-by can enjoy them.

2 comments:

Steve Martin said...

It's going to be beautiful!

Brigitte said...

It's much nicer weather now. The monsoon rains have given way to sunshine and very green grass. Gorgeous. The seeded grass also benefited.