Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The First Commandment/ Bible Proofs

The First Commandment

A.  I am the Lord, your God.

14.  Isaiah 42:8.  I am the Lord, that is my name and will not give my glory to another, nor my praise to idols.

B.  You shall have no other gods besides me.
a.)  gross idolatry

15.  Exodus 20: 4-5 You shall not make an idol for yourself nor an image of anything either in the sky above or on earth below or in the water or under the earth.  Do not pray to them and do no serve them.

16.  Psalm 97:7. Ashamed will all these be who serve images and who take pride in idols.

b.) more subtle idolatry 
17.  1 John 2:15.  Do not love the world and what is in it.  Those who love the world do not have the love of the Father in them.

18.  Matthew 6:24.  You cannot serve both God and money.

19.  Proverbs 3:5.  Trust in the Lord with your whole heart and do not trust in your own understanding.

20.  Jeremiah 9:23-24.  This is what the Lord says:  a wise person shall not take pride in his wisdom, nor a strong person in his strength, nor a rich person in his possessions; however, who wants to take pride should do this, he should glory in this, that he knows and understands me and that I am the Lord who exercises mercy, justice and righteousness in the earth;  this is what pleases me, says the Lord.

C. We should fear God above all things.


21.  Psalm 33: 8-9.  Let all the world fear the Lord and before him all who dwell on earth keep reverence;  for when he speaks it is done, and when it commands it, it happens.

22.  Ecclesiastes 12: 13-14.  Let us hear the sum of all teaching:  Fear God and keep his commandments;  this is owed to him by all people.  God will bring all deeds into judgement whether they be good or bad.

23.  Genesis 39:9.  How can I commit such a great evil and sin against God?

24.  Psalm 111:10.  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  Who acts according to this has a true understanding.  His praise will remain in eternity.


______________

So much for today.

I have to say that I've really enjoyed translating the Bible verses.  You end up passing them through your mind more thoroughly.

1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

Nice work, Brigitte!

I appreciate these translations from one who knows the language, and Lutheranism!