Friday, June 17, 2011

The First Commandment/ Bible Proofs 2

We should love God above all things.

25.  Psalm 18, 2-3
I love you dearly, O Lord, my strength, O Lord, my rock, my fortress, my redeemer, my God, my refuge, in whom I trust, my shield and the horn of my salvation and protection.
26.  Psalm 73:25-26
If I have you I do not ask for heaven or earth.  Even though my body and soul waste away, still you, O God, will be at all times the comfort of my heart and my portion.
27.  Matthew 10:37
Whoever loves father or mother more than me, that person is not worthy of me.  And whoever loves his son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me.
28.  1 John 5:3.
Keeping God's commandments is how we show love to him and his commandments are not difficult.
29.  1 John 4:20-21
I someone says:  "I love God" but hates his brother, he is a liar.  Because if someone does not love his brother whom he can see, how can he love God whom he can't see?  And this is the command we have from him that whoever loves God also love his brother.

3 comments:

Steve Martin said...

Sounds like we might have a problem on our hands.

Souds like we could really use a Savior :)

Brigitte said...

I love how this commandment demands such positive things. We should fear, yes, AND love God.

Looking over the Reformed Heidelberg catechism yesterday, I found so much about not having any idols, which is, of course, true and what we have here, too, but not as much on the positive side, what it means to love God.

Keeping the first commandment is so much more than not making yourself and image to bow down to, or even avoiding the more subtle idolatries of leaning on money, knowledge, etc.

There is this faith, that God is good and worthy of worship and love, believing what he says when he says that he loves you and forgives you. There is a looking "up" and away from ourselves, a right focus.

Brigitte said...

Of course, we have trouble with is, as you point out. It is through God's salvation that we see his friendly nature.