Monday, March 29, 2010

Recipe 2: Olga's Raspberry Delight and Combination Recipe

This is a recipe garnered from one of the church ladies.  I've made it once like this and then I've once invented a recipe which is a combination of this recipe and the last one.  This "combination recipe" has received much accolade, and though I did not measure anything, I will try and reproduce it here, as per request and the best I can.  You really can't go very wrong, as long as you use enough gelatin to hold it all together.

Here goes Olga's.

Base:
1/3 cup sugar, 1 and 1/4 cup graham wafer crumbs, 1/3 cup  margarine.
Combine and press into 9x13 pan. Chill.

Combine: 1 pkg. cream cheese, softened (8 oz.)
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

put over crumb layer

top with 1 pkg frozen strawberries in Jello.
make jello like this:  1 pkg. raspberry Jello with 1.3 cups water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.

--you have to get a bit of a head start with this, too, as the Jello has to set.  But it looks quicker than the Kaesesahne Torte.

Now the COMBINATION RECIPE.

You can use either the graham base or the cake base (or none).  (Personally, I avoid graham cracker crumb bases because I don't like them and because there is one more thing to buy in a package.)

You can mix quark, cream cheese, the boiled milk mix and whipping cream or icing sugar.
I did this by going right through the fridge. I had a little whipping cream on hand, some quark and some cream cheese and put it all together (I had accidentally bought a whole ton of cream cheese at Costco.  It was delicious, but I had thought it was sour cream.)  Instead of the icing sugar I used the boiled milk with gelatin and sugar and eggs (see Kaesesahne recipe) to sweeten and hold it all together. 

For the fruit topping, I did make a substantial amount of Jello from a mix, but so that it does not taste all fake, I used frozen grapefruit juice to give flavor and cool things down.  Instead of raspberries I used blueberries because I had some.

In Germany they also make a Yogurt cake in similar fashion.  You can use quark, cream cheese, whipping cream, yogurt...  Just remember at least two packages of gelatin.  If you think you made a lot of filling, maybe use three packages of gelatin to make sure.  Gelatin is good for you, don't worry. 

So that's the "combination recipe".  Go to and don't ask me for exact proportions. 

If you are confused you can ask me.  But this is per special request of one friend M. and another friend M.

No comments: