Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Breakfast hymn

A verse came to me over breakfast, not sung for a long time.

Alles ist an Gottes Segen und an seiner Gnad gelegen,
ueber alles Geld und Gut.
Wer auf Gott sein Hoffnung setzet,
der behaelt ganz unverletzet einen freien Heldenmut.
(352, not in "Gotteslob", 1676)


In LSB, #732

All depends on our possessing God's abundant grace and blessing,
though all earthly wealth depart.
They who trust with faith unshaken
by their God are not forsaken
And will keep a dauntless heart.


Close enough, I guess, but not the exact same meanings.

What I'm thinking about: why do these things come to me only in German, though I have lived here for over 31 years? I don't have any English hymn verses coming to me except Sunday School songs and table graces, and liturgy, and lines from the Messiah.

The closest hymn book verses coming to me are songs Pastor DeBlock used to have us sing often: "Built on the Rock, the church will stand, even though steeples are falling.", "On my heart imprint your image, precious Jesus..." and "Thy strong Word". Must have been his favorites. Maybe it's a good thing if the Pastor has his favorites sung all the time, then people know those.

No comments: