Thursday, November 12, 2009

Act of Remembrance

"They shall grow not old
as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
we will remember them."

Response: We will remember them.

I think if I had died in some untimely fashion, or anytime, really, I would like at least that, to be remembered by those who knew me. Not grieved over forever, not flowers on the grave, but remembered fondly.

However, since I went to three ceremonies, I started praying the Lord's prayer into the silences. In the morning and the evening, first and last thing, I try to remember my God and what he's done, not the departed. I am starting to appreciate the commemorative items in the Treasury of Daily Prayer. One might learn to make simple prayers of thanks for those who've gone ahead.

No comments: